Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Start of Something Fabulous


This time two years ago, I had just begun my last semester of graduate school.  I loved my classes and did very well, but I was struggling with trying to figure out what on earth I was going to do when I graduated in May of 2012, as every college student does.  A Master of Arts degree in Employment and Labor Relations/Human Resources seems like a nice degree to have under your belt, especially when you are only on the cusp of turning 24.  However, at the time, I was working a $12.00 an hour job with no savings account in sight and living in rural Western PA with my father. (This sounds super cute, I know). Sure, I was motivated to get a great job and tried to make a plan for myself, but with a terrible economy and plenty of friends and family out of work, I didn’t really see my situation being ideal when trying to obtain the American dream. I was scared shitless as to whether or not my so called “advanced degree” was actually going to get me an advanced level of pay.

I started to consider my current situation and began planning on how I would get out of my father’s place and into my own penthouse suite in downtown Pittsburgh (yeah right). My current job did show some promise. Sure, I was only making $12.00 an hour and would have probably been beaten with a stick (or in the case of my employer, a teen fashion retailer, a studded hot pink belt) if I tried to work any overtime, but my boss was great and they hinted at full-time, salaried position after I graduated school.  This to me seemed like a solid back-up plan, but for some reason I searched for something else. For some reason, I knew that I would move to bigger and better things and that is exactly what I did.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment