Monday, April 21, 2014

Things You Learn When You Move to Manhattan

So after many months of living in Brooklyn, I decided to take the plunge and move to Manhattan. I wanted to go full on Sex and the City style. I couldn't be living like married Miranda in Brooklyn; I needed to be a Carrie with a little dash of Samantha and a touch of Charlotte. I needed fancy, overpriced cocktails, men in suits and real fashion. Sorry Brooklyn, but the hipster look is so not in. It's not original or cool when you all dress like mismatched hobos and carry the same white iPhone 5, listen to the same music and live in the same ugly graffiti buildings in Williamsburg.

After moving and being in Manhattan night and day 24/7, I have picked up on some things:

1. Avoid leaving for work any earlier than 7:30 AM. I organized a blood drive at work I needed to be in early to make everything was up and running. No one is out early in the mornings in Manhattan but Hispanic construction workers who cat call you and junkies. It is scarier being out in Manhattan at 7:00 AM on a Tuesday morning than it is to be out at 2:00 AM any night of the week.

2. People pee everywhere. I saw a women squatting in the middle of the sidewalk on Broadway at about 5:30 PM. She didn't seem to mind that she was flashing her vagina to the people of NYC.  I have walked over a stream of pee while waiting to catch the subway in the AM before work. Some man was facing the wall pissing and the stream ran the whole way down the platform.

3. Apartment buildings want your blood and first born before you can live in an overpriced hole in the wall. I kid you not, I had to make 40x the monthly rent, provide my taxes, bank account statement, paystubs, a letter from my employers, and a landlord referance just to live in an apartment that has a "fake bedroom."

4. I learned what a "fake bedroom" is. In many apartment buildings, people split the living room in half by putting up a fake wall and create an extra bedroom.  This is the only way young people afford to live in nice buildings. It's very, very sad. What's even more sad, I currently have one of these "fake bedrooms."

5. Everyone does online dating. And I mean everyone. Whether it's tinder or j date. It's happening and yes, I did get sucked in, but more on that later.

6. It is perfectly acceptable to not go out with friends for dinner until 10 PM and not hit the bar until 12 PM.  When bars are open until 4 AM, the night is always young.

7. You realize what the B&T crowd is.  People of Manhattan that consider themselves "normal" (whatever that is), will become upset when they enter a bar and they believe that the place is full of the B&T crowd.  B stands for bridges and T stands for tunnels.  So this group encompasses anyone that came from the outer boroughs, or even worse - Jersey.

8. You thank your lucky stars you are not from Jersey or Long Island. THANK. YOU. JESUS.

9. No one cares if the Rangers/Yankees/Giants/Knicks or whoever is playing.  In Pittsburgh, sports are cult like, if there is a Penguins game on Saturday night, you bet your ass you are either going or doing something "for the game." That doesn't happen here, if I wasn't a sports fan, I wouldn't even know sports existed.

10. Living in NYC is nothing like sex and the city or gossip girl or girls (gross).  As much as plenty of girls wish that they could be living it up like Carrie Bradshaw or Blair Waldorf, this is a fantasy land. I still love my Sex and the City binge sessions, but it's quite unreal for a 26 year old from an average town in average America. However, that hasn't stopped me from looking for my Mr. Big, great girlfriends and great fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment